Friday, September 16, 2011

The current system isn't cutting it.

Self-destructive behavior, including cutting, has been at the forefront of my mind over the past month. During the first week of school, I shared an emotional conversation with my sister. Her distress was a result of one of her best friends sharing with her that they had begun not only cut, but also burn themselves. My little sister just turned fifteen, and the friend is even younger. She shared that the friend had recently told the parent that she was concerned with being depressed, and the parent, upset with the situation, lashed out (verbally) at the child but did not follow up with any sort of action. The friend began cutting not too long after that. I recommended that Tia approach the situation by suggesting that they visit the school counselor together, or tell a parent/adult family friend. That being said, Tia has not come forth with any information regarding the situation lately.

Not two days later, I was sitting in a group of friends, and one casually discussed that their cutting methods. Suffice to say I was more than shocked... I always assumed that people who cut were hesitant to reveal their self-destructive behaviors to other people. As a college student, this friend is under a great deal of stress. The friend is constantly discussing her previous suicide attempts, as well as the depression she endures every day.
To that end, I have experienced my own emotional turmoil concerning my position in what to do in this situation. I feel like I make every effort to suggest the friend's self worth, acknowledging the pain and offering support, and go beyond to ensure that the friend is given the opportunity to share. I constantly suggest the counseling center... I just have no idea what to do in a situation where she refuses to confront anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment